For some planning their birthday or anniversary is a strain and they prefer their friend doing them a surprise party. But when you really think in advance and ask a few professionals for their help, your celebration will be the best you could ever dream. Because “a little party never killed nobody”, right?
1. Think about the style. Dinner for twenty people or a “standing” party with buffet and dancing? Picnic party or A Black Tie – choose what you like the best.
2. Determine the location and budget. Celebration at home or away from the city? Of course, inviting thirty people into a small apartment is not the best choice for an official party.
3. Preparation schedule. It is best to think about who is invited and what do you expect from the celebration, in fact, a couple of weeks before the event. You will have enough time to choose the menu, alcohol, and playlist and do not get a shock dose of stress. Treat a party as a project and set deadlines.
4. Call the guests. And think about what they will talk about. The determining factor is the convenience of the time and place for most of the invitees dating after 40. Check the guests a couple of days before, to confirm their coming to your party.
5. Make a menu of food and drinks. It’s much funnier than buying everything at the last moment, not knowing what and in what volumes you need. A few tips can be found below.
WHAT TO DRINK:
There never can be too much water and alcohol. In the long run, if you don’t drink it all – you can save it up for the next time.
– At aperitif – sparkling wine (prosecco or champagne – everything depends on occasion and budget). The win-win option: dry Italian prosecco and cocktails on its basis. Our choice is Aperol. A lot of Aperol.
– White and red wines, or pink in the summer.
– Strong alcohol: rum, whiskey – it is up for you to decide.
WHAT TO EAT:
Minimum fuss: vegetables, fruits, large dishes and a lot of snacks is the right choice for an informal evening.
– For the snack: bruschettas, cheese plate, fresh vegetables or a simple salad, hummus, fresh bread, and high-quality butter.
– The main course: risotto, a turkey baked with sauce, burgers and even pies bought in advance will do.
– For a dessert: pannacotta, tiramisu, or what can be better than ice cream? And buy more seasonal fruits.
6. Prepare the serving and decorations.
7. Think about professional help. Making the guests help you is not the best solution. It’s better to hire a professional helper. The photographer is a great idea.
8. Make the playlist. Music is important. Someone loves rap, others want to listen to rock ballads. Need a golden mean? Soundcloud and iTunes are to your help.
9. Decide how you will entertain the guests. Cooking together, playing board games, making cocktails or dancing all night – everything depends on the atmosphere and place.
More tips just in case
– Write down everything: even if you have a great memory, the planner will help to avoid troubles.
– Do not ask the guests for anything. If you are a guest yourself, ask whether the person holding the party needs anything and check what you can bring with you to please the host. A good bottle of wine or chocolates is always a great idea.
– Find out if there are any vegetarians among the invitees or people with allergies.